List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesky (was: Re: Changes to DialogBase and KAboutDialog)
From:       Nicolas Brodu <brodu () iie ! cnam ! fr>
Date:       1999-07-13 9:13:45

On Mon, 12 Jul 1999, ctibirna@total.net wrote:
> So, my proposal:
>
> $HOME/Desktops
> $HOME/Desktops/General
> $HOME/Desktops/[One,Two,Three...] (names actually corresponding to
> kpanel's buttons (or kwm's desktop names, as this is technically correct))
>
> An icon declared sticky is automatically moved to General and symbolically
> linked to all other desktops or a special code reads it from General and
> displays it in all desktops.
>
> Cristian

I like this solution very much, but I was thinking about GUI interaction (and
propose some possibe answers)
.. Q: Can the desktops be ordered ?
  A: A simple solution would be to store their relative position in a rc file
on each change.
.. Q: How does user Joe add an icon to General ?
  A: Icons could go to the current desktop by default, and then be moved
with RMB like the windows "to desktop" feature.
.. Q: Will user Joe keep his config when switching to KDE2 ?
  A: Hmm, no idea wether this is feasible.

Now of course I'm coming late in this thread and I'm not playing with the code
behind this, so... just my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Nicolas Brodu, brodu@iie.cnam.fr
Eleve-Ingenieur 2eme annee (Institut d'Informatique d'Entreprise)
  http://www-eleves.iie.cnam.fr/brodu (libsmb)
KDE developer, brodu@kde.org
  http://www.kde.org, Color outside the lines !