List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: kdesky (was: Re: Changes to DialogBase and KAboutDialog)
From:       Michael Reiher <michael.reiher () gmx ! de>
Date:       1999-07-12 22:34:20

Cristian Tibirna wrote:

> So, my proposal:
>
> $HOME/Desktops
> $HOME/Desktops/General
> $HOME/Desktops/[One,Two,Three...] (names actually corresponding to
> kpanel's buttons (or kwm's desktop names, as this is technically correct))
>
> An icon declared sticky is automatically moved to General and symbolically
> linked to all other desktops or a special code reads it from General and
> displays it in all desktops.

Thatīs a really great idea! Itīs IMHO a have to!

And that idea could be extended to the panel. OS/2 has something like
that. You can define different sets of icons and switch between them.
Not sure how this is called in english, perhaps "Shelf". I only had the
German version. Anyway in my eyes this was a nice but not a killer
feature, as OS/2 has only one desktop and you had to switch them
manually. But in KDE these icon sets could be switched automatically on
desktop change. Perhaps plus the ability to change them manually. Again
there should be a general set, to put the K-Menu, Windowlist, KEdit,
Konsole, printer and other stuff for general use there, and desktop
specific sets, to separate internet, programming, whatever tools.

Greets

Michael

--
Michael Reiher
     Student at Dresden University of Technology