List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Changes to DialogBase and KAboutDialog
From:       Mirko Sucker <mirko.sucker () unibw-hamburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-12 22:20:37

"Dirk A. Mueller" wrote:

> then why is the method called "setMaintainter()" ? whats the difference
> between setAuthor() and setMaintainter? They both create a small box
> with some text in it. (I'm only looking at the test application, don't
> know much about the internals).

The reason is that the AboutDialog contains two standard "boxes", one
for the author, and one for the maintainer. Additionally you may add an
arbitrary number of contributors. This is the reason why there are two
functions.

> that depends on how it was intended. imho there should be some very
> default look&feel that fits into KDE style support and you only have to
> add author/maintainer/description/version number and so on, the rest
> (default text/default layout) is already given.

It is. But currently you have to set what the original author does and
who is the current maintainer.

> But there could be also an additional set of methods that allows more
> tweaking the appearance. I currently wonder if it's possible to tweak
> the layout a little bit ? a small but high dialog box doesn't look too
> good (just my personal opinion).

There are some options, see the DialogBase class (KAboutDialog
is derived from it). Additionally, the layout is automatically adapted
when the size of the logo changes, so nothing is fixed to a special
geometry.
Simply use a wider logo...

Of course, if you need much more than the dialog provides, you might
need to subclass it.

Greetings,
--Mirko.

--
Denn der  Mensch  liebt und ehrt den  Menschen,  solange er ihn
nicht zu beurteilen vermag, und die Sehnsucht ist ein Erzeugnis