List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 1.89
From:       Harri Porten <porten () tu-harburg ! de>
Date:       1999-07-07 15:15:48

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Harri Porten wrote:
> > > Would it be feasible to feature-freeze kdelibs in the
> > > first week of august?
> >
> > I strongly agree with offering a first "snapshot" to the public
> > soon to attract new developers or let 1.1 app developers catch
> > up. The word "feature-freeze" sounds a bit too limiting in my
> > ears, though.
>
> Sorry for the misunderstanding.
>
> What I mean is that we can do a "feature-freeze" to get things
> stable a bit so that we can do this 1.89 release. After that
> things can get "unfrozen" again.

Oh. That's what you meant. I have to admit that I seem to have
misunderstood your question in either way ;)

> It would of course be nice if not too much heavy (interface) modifications happened
> afterwards, so if anyone had any plans
> for big modifications it might be usefull to that before 1.89.
> That's why I am asking.
>
> I see no problem in adding stuff or doing small changes after
> 1.89. (Or even big changes if that appears to be necassery).

Ok. I wouldn't expect major API changes for the average developer
anyway. Some  components might undergo some changes but I believe that
they'll just affect the cooperation between kdelibs and kdebase
programms. These will be handled by a limited group of developers
anyway.

Harri.