List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Adopting AppData in KDE?
From:       henry miller <hank () millerfarm ! com>
Date:       2013-11-03 18:49:52

Richard Hughes <hughsient@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please don't portray me as a modern-day highwayman as I'm really just
> trying to build an awesome application installer for GNOME. It's two
> orders of magnitude harder to actually write a shared standard and ask
> other desktops to adopt it (making changes as required) rather than a
> quick hack that just works with one desktop on one distribution.

Let me rewritte the above into a FAQ format:
Q: Why does KDE not ship appdata files
A: the maintainers of appdata have admited they have no interest in standards, thus \
KDE has no formal ability to get things we need changed.  In addition while appdata \
claims to be distribution/gnome, it really is a Fedora thing and few other \
distribution packages use it, thus violating KDEs no patches for on distribution \
only.

Is appdata good or bad? I say bad, not on technial grounds, but social: the effort to \
standardise something that should be standardised was not done.  It meets Fedoras \
needs, but what about debian?  What about netbed.  What about... Yes standardization \
is a lot of effort, that is because getting a good compromise for everyone is hard.

KDE should in my opinion refuse appdata in hopes that the next time someone has a \
great idea they remember appdata failed (or took too long to catch on) because it \
failed presue standardization early.  If someone has a better idea how to stop \
developers from this anti-social behavor I'm open to it so I can consider appdata on \
                technial merits like it should be.