List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: FEATURE: Forcing DPI setting for fonts
From:       Germain Garand <germain () ebooksfrance ! org>
Date:       2006-08-29 5:59:01

Le Lundi 28 Août 2006 11:35, Stephan Kulow a écrit :
> Am Montag, 28. August 2006 01:34 schrieb Germain Garand:
> > I'm not sure there is any portable way to get the real display DPI from
> > Qt if the Xft.dpi setting has been tampered with ;(
>
> The problem is that there enough computers you can't get the real display
> DPI even if not configured ;(
> Because too many computers are "designed for XP" - which does not care
> about what the monitor says.

but this isn't anything new, by the way.
Now, with distributors also changing the Xft dpi (apparently in the hope that
two wrongs will make a right), there are very serious chances that *both* dpi
values will be wrong (was the case on my Mandriva hi-res laptop).

So the only thing this kind of "breakthrough" brings is that the mere
possibility of having a correct X11 desktop dpi wise is drifting away.
</rant>

Germain