List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: New module "kdecore"
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-19 8:58:38

David Faure wrote:
>I think this request is really about splitting kdebase into one more
> subdir:
> - workspace (main X11 desktop apps like kicker and kdesktop
> etc.) not needed to run KDE apps under TWM, but needed to run a full
> KDE desktop on X11.
> - coreapps: apps needed at runtime by other apps

> - apps: other apps, needed by users but not by other apps

How about moving these out of kdebase?

Also, where is Konqueror? I would consider it part of Workspace, because
no environment is full without a file manager. On the other hand, even if
I were in TWM, I'd like to use Konqueror...

>coreapps would contain
> - drkonqi

drkonqi is almost kdelibs...

> - kioslaves (I know they're not really apps, but let's not name the
> directory "core")
> - kdesu
> - kdebugdialog? maybe this one belongs in kdesdk?

Yes. Applications don't need to run kdebugdialog. Normal users will never
know about it either.

> - kreadconfig, kdialog, kstart (all potentially needed by scripts)
> - khelpcenter
> - kcontrol? or only kcmshell?

kcmshell, probably, with kcontrol being part of workspace.

>At packaging time it should be rather easy to split kdebase into three
> packages especially if we keep all the configuration stuff modular -
> i.e. with nothing in kdebase/ itself, other than a CMakeListst.txt with
> three add_subdirectory calls. This should also make it easy to
> developers to only update & recompile kdebase/coreapps without needing
> to care about workspace and apps. But at the same time, it prevents
> module multiplication. Modular modules (hehe) are much easier to handle
> than hundreds of modules (and people wondering why they can't find app
> xyz anymore...)

Distributions already split KDE...

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway