List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Proposal: New module "kdecore"
From:       David Faure <faure () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-04-19 8:41:54

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 01:28:01AM +0200, Alexander Neundorf wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 April 2006 01:05, Matt Rogers wrote:
> > On Tuesday 18 April 2006 17:35, Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> > > Comments? Questions? Enthusiastic approval?
> >
> > isn't this what kdebase/workspace is for?
>
> I thought just the opposite:
> isn't this kdebase - kdebase/workspace ?

Not really since you don't need keditbookmarks to run kde apps
(although, well... if you say that you need konqueror for invokeBrowser
then konqueror needs keditbookmarks. But invokeBrowser needs any browser,
not konqueror in particular).

I think this request is really about splitting kdebase into one more subdir:
 - workspace (main X11 desktop apps like kicker and kdesktop etc.)
       not needed to run KDE apps under TWM, but needed to run a full KDE desktop on X11.
 - coreapps: apps needed at runtime by other apps
 - apps: other apps, needed by users but not by other apps

coreapps would contain
 - drkonqi
 - kioslaves (I know they're not really apps, but let's not name the directory "core")
 - kdesu
 - kdebugdialog? maybe this one belongs in kdesdk?
 - kreadconfig, kdialog, kstart (all potentially needed by scripts)
 - khelpcenter
 - kcontrol? or only kcmshell?

At packaging time it should be rather easy to split kdebase into three packages
especially if we keep all the configuration stuff modular - i.e. with nothing in kdebase/ itself,
other than a CMakeListst.txt with three add_subdirectory calls.
This should also make it easy to developers to only update & recompile kdebase/coreapps
without needing to care about workspace and apps. But at the same time, it prevents
module multiplication. Modular modules (hehe) are much easier to handle than hundreds
of modules (and people wondering why they can't find app xyz anymore...)

--
David Faure
faure@kde.org