List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Everaldo keeping kde in lock -- was: K-ARTIST: Icons,
From:       Andreas Pour <pour () mieterra ! com>
Date:       2004-01-15 18:27:45

Dominique Devriese wrote:

[ ... ]

> >> Maybe it would be worth mentionning that it is illegal to
> >> distribute the icons under the GPL or LGPL without distributing the
> >> svg "sources" along.
>
> > Which is true if you take sources from others, not if it is your own
> > work.
>
> Where do you get that weird idea from ?  The GPL does not make any
> difference between whether it is the original author distributing
> anything, or someone else.  Even if so, this would still make it
> illegal for anyone but Everaldo to distribute KDE.

If Everaldo made the original SVG icons, and just releases the PNG versions,
there is no GPL violation b/c the SVG were never released under the GPL and
hence are not licensed under it.

The same would be true if I wrote a KDE program and released the binary under
the GPL.  I would be under no obligation to release the source under the GPL.

Now, if the SVG icons are released under the GPL, changed made, new PNGs
generated, in that case, the modified SVG must also be distributed.

In short, if Everaldo never released the SVG versions, you are not entitled to
them, even if the PNG icons are released under the GPL.

Ciao,

Dre