List:       kde-artists
Subject:    Re: Everaldo keeping kde in lock -- was: K-ARTIST: Icons, scripts
From:       Dominique Devriese <dominique.devriese () student ! kuleuven ! ac ! be>
Date:       2004-01-15 18:09:25

Ante Wessels writes:

> As long as the file did not leave Everaldo's pc, it is not
> distributed, it is not labeled with a license. So, there is no lgpl
> in action.

Ah, so that's what you misunderstood.  The LGPL is indeed not in
action on the source files, but it is on the icons in .png format.
Those are distributed under the LGPL, IIUC.  The license for those
.png icons then states that the sources for them need to be made
available (i.e. the format that is preferred for editing them, in this
case .svg or .ai or whatever.).

> Your approach is counterproductive. Everaldo used to be on this
> list. It is clear he wants his work to be open sourced. So, if he
> does not provide sources, it probably is because he already sent
> them to suse, the ones he had. What Torsten wrote is probably the
> real story: illustrator sources that couldn't be saved as svgs...

> So, let's not use lawer's talk, but write a friendly letter to
> Everaldo asking for the .ai files.

FWIW, I didn't make the statement to threaten anybody, I just wanted
to point out the seriousness of the problem.  Anyway, I won't continue
this discussion further.

cheers
domi