List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE 3.1
From:       Jörg Walter <ehrlich () ich ! bin ! kein ! hoschi ! de>
Date:       2002-03-29 14:05:50

On Friday, 29. March 2002 12:00, Rob Kaper wrote:

> There is already a kio_sftp in kdebase, which I love dearly. What's the
> status on a possible merging of these two slaves?

Impossible. These two are orthogonal, kio_fish intended to be run with any
remote shell account, irrespective of ssh software and (ideally) other system
software (not exactly true, but I did not yet find a system without the
neccessary tools). This is really a less-than-0-maintenance solution. for
kio_sftp, there must be ssh2 and sftp enabled, so whe have a dedicated server
as in any other ioslave, which has advantages and disadvantages. I tried
kio_sft as of KDE to connect to a random machine, just because I was curious,
but it didn't work. kio_fish did work, even for quite baroque systems. But
then again, kio_sftp might be faster/slicker/whatever - it is different.

> I don't think we should include both ssh-based slaves in kdebase. kio_fish
> does a little more than kio_sftp, on the other hand I still believe we
> shouldn't replace shipped applications everytime a new alternative shows
> up, even if the alternative is better.

Why not? These are two different network protocols with their unique
advantages and disadvantages. Merging is impossible because kio_fish has to
jump through hoops to work - this is by design. It works totally different
from any other protocol, as it has to guess and interpolate in many
situations.
Why not merge ftp and sftp? Do we need 2 ftp-like ioslaves? (no, this was not
a serious suggestion)

--
CU
	Joerg

PGP Public Key at http://ich.bin.kein.hoschi.de/~trouble/public_key.asc
PGP Key fingerprint = D34F 57C4 99D8 8F16 E16E  7779 CDDC 41A4 4C48 6F94