List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: collation of desktop spec issues
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-22 2:07:58

On Wednesday 20 March 2002 07:52 am, Havoc Pennington wrote:
> I really think it's bizarre to display Comment as an application
> name. Especially when it's previously documented on this list as a
> tooltip, and surely that was the original intent since it's called
> Comment.
>
> How about this:
>
>   Name: the application name, e.g. Mozilla
>   GenericName: e.g. Web Browser
>   Comment: tooltip
>
> So we would run the s/Name/GenericName/ sed job, and you guys could
> run the s/Comment/GenericName/ sed job, and then we both need to add a
> missing third field. But I don't see a way around everyone having to
> add a missing third field anyhow, since we all have only two fields
> currently.
>
> Havoc

This is to confirm that KDE 3.0 will indeed use the above scheme, and will be
introduced in KDE3RC4 (it's not in RC3). Most of our desktop-files will not
have a Comment field as a consequence, but I guess that's not a problem.
Where appropriate, some desktop files still have a "Comment" entry.

Owen, do you think you can include this in the Desktop Entry Standard and,
including the changes that we disussed earlier, publish this as v1.0?

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com