List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [RC] Updated release plan
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiagom () wanadoo ! fr>
Date:       2002-03-11 23:44:20

Hetz Ben Hamo wrote
>> Monday March 18th, 2002: Preparing RC 3
>>
>>    3.0 RC3 tarballs are made and uploaded, which incorporate the CVS
>>    changes since RC2 tarballs. Remaining showstoppers are identified.
>>
>> Thursday March 21th, 2002: Decision about 3.0 final
>
>Wouldn't it be a good idea to have another public beta?
>
>last few days there were pretty scare in the amounts of bugs that were found
>and fixed, and most distributions aim to put KDE 3.0 as the default desktop
>enviroments and the last thing we need to have is a problematic release (you
>never know what a bored end-user will descover...)

After RC1, we discovered a whole lot of new bugs -- and fixed them. This
hasn't happened with RC2, which should be an indication that the code is
already stabler.

But I agree we should have a public release. What I just don't agree is that
it should be a beta. Maybe we can publicly release the RC3 (i.e., tell
Slashdot, because the tarballs are public already).  The fresh new pairs of
eyes will surely report bugs.

The question, then, is what to do. Those bugs will also be public, which would
mean we would have to fix them, not put back to 3.0.1.

/me realises he didn't come to a conclusion :-)

Just my 0.13F (0.02 euro)
--
  Thiago Macieira - UFOT Registry number: 1001
 thiagom@mail.com