List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: completion bugs
From:       Michael Brade <brade () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-07 10:34:49

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 17:09, Klas Kalass wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 5. März 2002 16:39:16 schrieb Antonio Larrosa Jiménez:
> > El Mar 05 Mar 2002 05:18, George Staikos escribió:
> > > Then select ca/en/ to remove, hit backspace
> > >
> > > Url bar shows:
> > >
> > > http://www.ibm.com/products/|   [ca/en/ in light grey]
> > >
> > > Hit enter.
> >
> > Why do you hit enter if you see ca/en in the url ?
> > You can press Escape to disable autocompletion, and then press enter
>
> Because ca/en is grey and understood as a hint. At least that is what I
> thought when I saw this. Don't get me wrong, I like the grey mode. It looks
> very nice. But most users will expect to go to the url that is in normal
> colour.
?!? I once suggested red color for the text... but anyways, I think there
should be nobody thinking "oh, what's that nice grey text there? ah, let's
ignore it". Or he will do it for exactly one time, that's no issue here IMHO.

> And hitting TAB or hitting END to accept the autocompletion is very good
> and something most users will easily understand, I think. To force the
> autocompleted URL is not so intuitive. And having to hit ESC to be able to
> go to the URL you explicitely typed in is not intuitive at all.
Again, I'm completely lost in one sense: it was *exactly* the same with the
old autocompletion! There's a reason it's called "autocompletion" I guess...

What if you'd try out "manual completion"?

--
Michael Brade;                 KDE Developer, Student of Computer Science
  |-mail: echo brade !#|tr -d "c oh"|s\e\d 's/e/\@/2;s/$/.org/;s/bra/k/2'

KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops