List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startkde
From:       George Staikos <staikos () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-07 5:52:24

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 23:24, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 March 2002 05:32 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> > I just fought for an hour with KDE not starting after I upgraded to XF86
> > 4.2. I don't know why or how, but dcopserver was (silently) complaining
> > that .ICE-unix was not owned by root.  Indeed it was now.  However I
> > don't know how this would have changed simply by installing this rpm.  In
> > any case, I think we should pop up an xmessage if dcopserver doesn't
> > start up. If anything, at least it will save a few support emails.
>
> ksmserver is supposed to inform you about problems with starting the
> dcopserver. Doesn't it do that?

   Well maybe the error needs to be verbosified then. :)  Right now it just
says that ksmserver didn't start up.  It doesn't say that maybe dcopserver is
the problem or anything like that.  I had to run startkde with bash -xvf to
actually see the error message.

> What I don't understand is why dcopserver refuses to start when .ICE-unix
> is not owned by root. I have only heared reports about that it waits for 5
> seconds in that case.

    XF86 4.2.  Could that have anything to do with it?

--

George Staikos