List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startkde
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-07 6:06:30

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 09:52 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> On Wednesday 06 March 2002 23:24, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> > On Wednesday 06 March 2002 05:32 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> > > I just fought for an hour with KDE not starting after I upgraded to
> > > XF86 4.2. I don't know why or how, but dcopserver was (silently)
> > > complaining that .ICE-unix was not owned by root.  Indeed it was now.
> > > However I don't know how this would have changed simply by installing
> > > this rpm.  In any case, I think we should pop up an xmessage if
> > > dcopserver doesn't start up. If anything, at least it will save a few
> > > support emails.
> >
> > ksmserver is supposed to inform you about problems with starting the
> > dcopserver. Doesn't it do that?
>
>    Well maybe the error needs to be verbosified then. :)  Right now it just
> says that ksmserver didn't start up.  It doesn't say that maybe dcopserver
> is the problem or anything like that.  I had to run startkde with bash -xvf
> to actually see the error message.

Can you quote the exact error messages that you got and where you got them?

If you look at ksmserver/main.cpp you see that the first thing called there is
"sanity_check()" which should do the error reporting with a Qt dialog after
priting it to stderr.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Advanced technology only happens when people take a basic idea and add to it.
 -- Bob Bemer