List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: startkde
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-07 4:24:47

On Wednesday 06 March 2002 05:32 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> I just fought for an hour with KDE not starting after I upgraded to XF86
> 4.2. I don't know why or how, but dcopserver was (silently) complaining
> that .ICE-unix was not owned by root.  Indeed it was now.  However I don't
> know how this would have changed simply by installing this rpm.  In any
> case, I think we should pop up an xmessage if dcopserver doesn't start up.
> If anything, at least it will save a few support emails.

ksmserver is supposed to inform you about problems with starting the
dcopserver. Doesn't it do that?

What I don't understand is why dcopserver refuses to start when .ICE-unix is
not owned by root. I have only heared reports about that it waits for 5
seconds in that case.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
Advanced technology only happens when people take a basic idea and add to it.
 -- Bob Bemer