List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Japanese not working in KDE3?
From:       Takumi ASAKI <asataku () osk3 ! 3web ! ne ! jp>
Date:       2002-03-01 12:49:46

>Hi,
>our Japanese people just told me Japanese support isn't working at all in
>KDE3, and if their "how to reproduce" thing isn't broken, I can confirm
>it:
>
>Start "cannaserver" and "kinput2 -canna"
>export LANG=ja_JP.eucJP
>export XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2
>konsole
>
>Press shift+space to activate input method, then type
>"kanji[space][enter]", a Japanese letter should appear. [nothing happens].
>
>Can anyone confirm this or tell me why/how their test case is broken? I
>really don't have a clue about Asian languages. :(

It's Qt3's XIM problem.
Qt3 default XIM input style is OnTheSpot.
But Qt3's OnTheSpot support is very broken.
Some of Japanese KDE Users Group members try to fix it.
But they can't fit it. It's difficult problem.
Maybe TrollTech know about it. It was reported.

You should use OverTheSpot style to input Japanese.
ex.
% konsole --inputstyle OverTheSpot

I wrote a patch to Qt3 can configure default input style.
http://www.kde.gr.jp/~asaki/Qt-patches/qt-x11-free-3.0.0-xim-default-20011027.diff

add a line in your ~/.qt/qtrc [General] section
defaultInputStyle=OverTheSpot

It works fine.

PS.

Qt has Clipboard problem.  Qt's Clipboard is not I18N.
If you want to cut&paste with non-Qt application(ex. kterm)
Please use this patch.
http://www.kde.gr.jp/~asaki/Qt-patches/qt-x11-free-3.0.0-qclipboard-20011111.diff
This patch was reported to TrollTech, too.

--
  Che Che - Bye Bye
        From: Takumi ASAKI <asataku@osk3.3web.ne.jp>