List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Documentation Disasters
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-03-01 12:39:45

Important request: Can people who have CVS accounts and plan to
write/update/add to documentation please let us know, before you start,
and definitely before you commit.

In the last week, several thousand (literally!) translations have been
lost and this could have probably been avoided.  Yes we retrieved them
(actually Eric Bischoff, who deserves an enormous amount of thanks for
his time),  and yes that took many hours that he could have better
spent doing new translations, as well as holding up other people and
just generally being disheartening.

It is *deeply* appreciated if people volunteer to write documentation on
their own initiative, but please be aware that committing docs without
checking with either me directly or even better kde-doc-english mailing
list is causing some real disasters.    I'm going to assume it's
because you're not aware that these things affect i18n or docs, so I'm
going to lay it out for you here.

This short rant:

If you plan to start writing a document that is currently unmaintained,
or you just want to patch one that's already there, please say so on
kde-doc-english *BEFORE* you start.

If we know you're doing work, we can keep the translation templates in
sync.  You are more than welcome to do this yourself, please check out
all 300 plus Megs of kde-i18n and then ask on the list for instructions
on the intricacies of the documentation translation process.  You'd
rather avoid that? Then work with us, and tell us *BEFORE* you change a
document.

Don't *EVER* rename a doc file, unless you're going to check out
kde-i18n and fix the resulting carnage for every language that has
already translated it.  You'd rather avoid that?  Then if you want
document files renamed, ask kde-doc-english or me directly to do it.

*ANY* change to translateable strings, including completely removing or
adding buttons should get a GUI: tag in their commit.  Things with GUI:
in their commit logs get forwarded to me separately, and I can forward
them on to the documentor concerned, or fix the docs myself, whichever
is most efficient.

Although you can substantially change an application's behaviour and
appearance without affecting translateable strings and breaking the
message freeze, do remember that it's still going to make the
documentation entirely wrong.  Use the GUI: in your commits, or post
patches to the docs when you post your patches to the code for review.

The long rant for anyone interested is being written as part of the
documentation site reorganization.  I'll post it in a day or two, along
with a specific "Documentation for Developers" Cheat sheet.

We deeply appreciate when you write documentation, but it is less
appreciated when the result is hundreds of hours work by potentially
hundreds of other people is summarily thrown out.  Simply keeping us
informed would avoid this.

Regards,
--
Lauri Watts