List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: (fwd) Re: Q: chmod usage.
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2002-02-28 21:39:46

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:41:38PM +0100, aleXXX wrote:
> On Thursday 28 February 2002 11:01, Thomas Zander wrote:
> >
> > He explained privately; the /etc/lisarc is hard-coded; that is the problem.
>
> I intentionally made the path hard-coded.
> In former versions lisa tried to look for the config file in the kde config
> dirs, this lead to many problems, since the user has to take care that lisa
> is started (at boot time). With the former scheme there were options whether
> lisa should look in the kde-1-config-dirs (i.e. $KDEDIR/share/config and
> ~/.kde/share/config I think)  or in kde-2-config-dirs (via kde-config) or in
> unix-style config dirs (i.e. /etc/lisarc and ~/.lisarc). Since there were to
> many points where things could go wrong I decided to support only /etc/lisarc
> and ~/.lisarc.
> And since lisa doesn't link any Qt/KDE lib, it can't use the KDE classes
> therefor.

Understood; that is not my problem.

> I still don't understand the problem.

Well the problem is that I want a mimimum maintainance software system. In other
words I don't like to have a config path hardcoded in 5 places in the classes.
I'd much rather like a header file #define or static where the path is. It simply
makes maintainance easier.

I don't know anything about the problems you describe above; I simply believe you
that the path has to be hardcoded; but for example debian will probably put the
file somewhere else, lets allow them to do that with a simple patch that updates
1 string in 1 header file. So we don't get bug reports that are created by the
overlooking of 1 of the 5 strings that are all the same.