List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: plugins vs. libraries
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-02-19 14:44:09

On Tuesday 19 February 2002 15:11, Stephan Kulow wrote:
> Hi!
>
> There seem to be a large confusion about plugins vs. libraries.
> E.g. lib/kde3 contains a lot of modules that start with lib.
>
> So let me state my opinion how things should be (and how I will
> change things to be if noone objects :):
>
> libraries
> ----------
>   - are installed into $KDEDIRS/lib
>   - have a version
>   - a defined interface (i.e. headers)
>   - are prefixed with lib

... plus the kdeinit loadable modules (KLM), which have no version (they are
just like executable, no need for having multiple versions in the same prefix),
nor defined interface (headers), but are prefixes with lib and are installed
into $KDEDIRS/lib, since the executable links to them.

> plugins
> ---------
>   - are installed into $KDEDIRS/lib/kde*
>   - have a very minimal interface (one or two functions having C linkage)
>   - have no version
>   - have no lib prefix, but are prefixed with the purpose
>    (e.g. kcm_, kwin_, kimgio_, etc.)

I think kdelibs/NAMING already says should be that way, anything that doesn't
comply to it needs to be fixed indeed.

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops