List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    plugins vs. libraries
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-19 14:11:34

Hi!

There seem to be a large confusion about plugins vs. libraries.
E.g. lib/kde3 contains a lot of modules that start with lib.

So let me state my opinion how things should be (and how I will
change things to be if noone objects :):

libraries
----------
  - are installed into $KDEDIRS/lib
  - have a version
  - a defined interface (i.e. headers)
  - are prefixed with lib

plugins
---------
  - are installed into $KDEDIRS/lib/kde*
  - have a very minimal interface (one or two functions having C linkage)
  - have no version
  - have no lib prefix, but are prefixed with the purpose
   (e.g. kcm_, kwin_, kimgio_, etc.)

Greetings, Stephan