List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Fwd: Recent CVS: No KDE styles anymore
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-02-02 16:04:51

(let's see if that Subject draws Ettrich's attention ;-)

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 02:18:47PM +0100, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> Hi,
> after now an other user gets the same prob, I think there is something wrong
> with the current kstyles :(
>
> I don't think the errors the user reported are related to the problem (the
> style control module just used the old factory, or ?), but the problem is the
> same.

As SadEagle on IRC found out, the problem is in Qt. QApplication's
constructor does the following:
        // check if KDE's styles are available
        app_style = QStyleFactory::create("highcolor");

This results in the QPluginManager in QStyleFactory being created,
which asks the QApplication instance for the library paths. Unless
the user has edited his ~/.qt/qtrc the library path will not contain
the kde installation directory, where the highcolor style can be
found. Not a problem as-is, but all this is still in the
QApplication constructor. That means the addLibraryPath call in
KApplication has no effect at all, because it just adds the kde path
to QApplications' library path. The plugin manager instance in
QStyleFactory however doesn't see this. So this line effectively
removed the workaround that prevented people from having to run
qtconfig after installing KDE.

Simon