List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: style, color and font changes: now or after RC1/beta2?
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-30 0:49:06

On Tuesday 29 January 2002 04:17 pm, Dirk Mueller wrote:
> > If we would have sticked with the limitations of Qt we would have 100
> > hundred different configuration files under $HOME in 100 different
> > formats and messageboxes with "Retry / Fail / Abort". Sorry, but that's
> > not how it works. KDE defines the policy for the KDE platform, not Qt. If
> > Qt makes it impossible to implement a policy then Qt should be fixed.
>
> well, what do you suggest ? Qt duplicating KStandardDirs in qtconfig to be
> able to customize KDE's style settings ? Thats not going to happen I guess.

Idealy I would like to see a solution in the line of what is done in
qt_set_desktop_properties but then extensible or what would be even better a
standard solution like the X Settings proposal. (See
http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/xsettings/xsettings.html and also
https://listman.redhat.com/pipermail/xdg-list/2001-March/000063.html )

I notice btw that I seem to have missed this remark from Matthias so far:
> > Regarding remote-applications and Qt: since we cache toolkit
> > relevant settings in a XProperty (that is colors, fonts, etc.) a
> > remote application gets those from there, rather then reading
> > settings files on the remote host.  So magically it works.

If we can update that cache from KDE then we don't need to write qsettings at
all and still get all Qt apps in line with KDE.

Cheers,
Waldo
--
bastian@kde.org  |   SuSE Labs KDE Developer  |  bastian@suse.com