List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: style, color and font changes: now or after RC1/beta2?
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () olympusproject ! org>
Date:       2002-01-29 8:25:21

hi christoph...

> > I think we should treat Qt just as we treat GTK. Upon start we can write
> > out a .qtrc based on the values that we read from our own config files,
> > just as we do with a .gtkrc.
> >
> > KDE applications will continue to read their settings directly from their
> > own config files, and Qt-only applications can then rely on .qtrc.
>
> Seems to be a very clean, efficient solution for the problem in my eyes,
> too.

except that it is a hack ... KDE apps are Qt apps too, so QApplication and
KApplication will be doing the same work twice for style/color/fonts/gui
effects every time an app starts up ... that "same work" includes opening and
parsing config files, applying the proper settings (including defaults if
there are no settings) ..

and there is still no guarentee here that while you are running KDE that
.qtrc won't change and your Qt apps will look different ... it also means
that every time a style related change is made via kcontrol that we need to
write out to .qtrc (and call x11_apply_settings()) anyways, to maintain the
consistency....

if keeping Qt and KDE apps looking consistent matters at all, then trying to
sync two sets of unrelated config files isn't a good solution.

the real solution is to either get Qt listening to KDE's hints directly
(independant of any hacks) or to allow KDE applications to let QApplication
do what it is supposed to do...

hopefully Matthias Ettrich will get back to me shortly with an answer as to
what TT intends to do regarding making Qt more flexible in this regard.

--
Aaron Seigo