List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Qt-only KDE applications
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-23 22:16:58

On Tuesday 22 January 2002 16:21, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Matthias Ettrich
>
> > One suggestion was to go cross-platform with parts of KDE and to
> > promote KDE as cross-platform API as well.
> >
> > There's another solution, which I'd like to promote here.
>
> I'd prefer to make KDE work cross-platform. Sure, there is quite a
> bit of work involved, but it is feasible.

I support that. If the application developer is required to use
libqtkde in addition to Qt anyway, why not use a stripped-down version
of kdelibs, which is portable. This portable kdelibs would only have to
implement the stuff, which makes sense on other platforms, and would
allow to port most KDE programs without changing their source code.

It would not automatically convert pure Qt programs to KDE programs,
but it would allow developers who care about their programs running on
KDE to get the power of the KDE framework without losing platform
independence.