List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Resize and Rotate extension / kcontrol module; new KTimerDialog class
From:       Hamish Rodda <meddie () yoyo ! cc ! monash ! edu ! au>
Date:       2002-01-23 17:36:37

Hi,

I've done some development today that might interest a few people. Firstly,
I've made a new Control Centre module that can take advantage of the X Resize
and Rotate extension on any X server that provides it (note the core xf86
server does not support this yet, you have to build the TinyX server (details
below)). This allows you to change the size and rotation (colour depth, multi
screen support coming soon) of a screen without restarting X... just like in
Windows. Very neat... especially using KDE on its side. (When I get a display
device that rotates it will actually be useful :)  Kwin needs some work to
detect these events and appropriately resize/relocate apps, especially kicker
and kdesktop, as you can see from the screenshots.

XRANDR extension info:
http://www.xfree86.org/~keithp/talks/randr/randr/

Source code and screen shots:
http://yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au/~meddie/patches/

Setting up a TinyX/kdrive Xfree86 server:
http://www.pps.jussieu.fr/~jch/software/kdrive.html

At the end of this I needed a dialog box with a timer to count down 15 seconds
to make sure the user was happy with the change, and that they can still see
their screen.  So, I wrote a KTimerDialog class.... the code is in the same
place as above. I'm going to put more work into this for kde 3.1, as others
are interested in it (kpilot, atlantik so far). A screenshot of this
(granted, without appropriate "\n" usage) is also in the screenshot directory
above.

Once I figure out the configure addition required to detect -lXrandr I will
add the RANDR control centre module to kdenonbeta if there are no objections.

Cheers,

Hamish