List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Resize and Rotate extension / kcontrol module; new KTimerDialog class
From:       Dirk Mueller <mueller () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-23 18:25:33

On Don, 24 Jan 2002, Hamish Rodda wrote:

> device that rotates it will actually be useful :)  Kwin needs some work to
> detect these events and appropriately resize/relocate apps, especially kicker
> and kdesktop, as you can see from the screenshots.

Yes, interesting. I was actually working on the reverse of it - make Qt
listen to resize/rotation changes (fixing QDesktopWidget). The problem was
that it won't go into Qt before 3.1. I managed to get kdesktop to adjust to
screen rotations, but that was it. I still have the code somewhere.

We could duplicate such a class in a KDE lib, but then all apps need to be
changed back from QDesktopWidget to a KDesktopWidget.

But thats not too bad as only kdesktop, kicker and kwin currently have to
really react to the events.

Looking at your kcontrol module.. hmm. Do you notice that you hardcoded a
lot into it ? like the display (":0.0") ?

Also, I thought the rotation events might be triggered by something else
already (i.e. when you rotate your screen ?). so duplicating it in kcontrol
is maybe not the right thing. Or do you always have to do it manually ?

Dirk