List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: todo before KDE3?
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2002-01-21 15:36:16

On Monday 21 January 2002 16:09, Holger Freyther wrote:
> Hi all,
> I had a quick look at kdelibs/kdecore, kdeui and kded and some issues I
would
> like to talk about.
> One general item is on my list is what is if we've a *Private defined but
> have private members not in the Private class? Should we move them to the
> Private class?

Generally, if there's no chance that such members will ever be removed or
changed, there's no point (it makes accessing them slightly slower, and
prevents inline methods). Moving them to the private class makes only sense
if there's no inline method for them, if they're not accessed 10000 times a
second, and if they have any chance of being removed at some point.

> This applies to kinstance.

I really don't think we're going to remove any of those member variables -
they are directly related to the KInstance API.

[snip KNotifyClient, glad someone's looking at it ;)]

> krfcdate: we return t_time which is ok but couldn't return QDateTime?

It's not too hard to go from one to the other, so I don't know.
(although if we can avoid doing many calculations just to go
time_t -> QDateTime -> time_t, we might as well ;)

> kapplication: first of all frerich do you want to fix any stuff after kde2.0
> :). Isn't it the right time to fix it?
:)

> Then there's a lack of api documentation int kdeInitExec( ) what is the int?
Which one ? The return value is documented. You mean int* pid ? Well, it
returns the PID of the process that was started (on success).

> Why don't remove KStyle *style()?
We probably should, I've seen KStyle has been removed ;)

> Then I've my issue with invokeMailer. I don't argue having two but having
> three where two would be really enough? Just delete invokeMailer(const
> QString &addres, subject ) and make it like this:
> void invokeMailer( const QString &to, const QString &subject, const QString
> &cc = QString::null, and so on ). I need to admit I don't know how much code
> this will break.

That's why I didn't dare removing it.

> KAboutContributor isn't kde conform it uses names methods like get*. it
seems
> like it is only used internally but in a public header. Either we make it
> name()... or move it to a private header

!? Where's that ?

http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~david, http://www.konqueror.org
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops