List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: [RFC] KMenu tidy up post KDE 3.0
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-01-21 14:19:55

On Saturday 19 January 2002 17:30, Chris Howells wrote:

> On Saturday 19 January 2002 12:11 pm, Thomas Zander wrote:
> > I don't like that solution because many researchers have proven that
> > people (the ones not being programmers) can't remember below one
> > hierarchical
> >
> :(
> :
> > level. In other words; if you do this people can't remember where an
> > application is and will be looking a lot longer.
> > I know that you intend to make some solution that takes away the need to
> > remember by simply thinking where an application would be located; you
> > will find it there!  But alas people simply don't do it like that.

I very much second that.
The windows start menu is always at least one level deeper (start-menu ->
apps -> some group of apps -> search the damn entry which actually starts the
app and doesn't show me a readme or whatever)
compared to k-menu -> office -> kword
Don't let's loose this advantage

> Interesting. How does Windows (the latest version of Windows I have access
> to is '95, which defintely does have such sub-menus) and Mac OS X handle
> this?

Don't know if it changed with XP, but before that all used the same way.
The problem is also that each windows app doesn't simply add an entry to the
start menu, but a whole submenu, containing install and uninstall items,
readme, stuff, and somewhere the actual app. I don't think this can have
changed with XP.

> > Look at "SameGame"; its under tactics & strategy. The label next to it
> > however shows Board game.
> > Maybe this is a stypid bug;
>
> OK, I'll have a look at sorting that.
>
> > but I suspect it will prove harder then you
> > think to make a distinction that makes sense. Where people will start
> > looking at the same position where you put it.
>
> Interesting point. I think that having multiple menu entries for the same
> applcation is defintely confusing, and a bad idea. However, having looked

Yes, duplicating entries is a bad idea.

> over all of the program names, I can't recall any that I can't decide how
> to classify.

Well, e.g. is Emacs an editor or a development environment ?

I think menus shouldn't contain more than something like 10 to 15 items.

Bye
Alex