List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KPersonalizer (was Re: Support for animated icons (on mouseover))
From:       Carsten Wolff <AirWulf666 () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-01-17 4:36:39

Hi,all.

Am Donnerstag 17 Januar 2002 03:34 schrieb Lubos Lunak:
> On Thu 17. January 2002 02:29, Waldo Bastian wrote:
> [snip]
>
> > Talking about KPersonalizer, it pretty much violates every UI standard
> > about applying changes that we have. I find it very intrusive that
> > clicking through it actually changes settings. i can't "trust" this
> > application. That's bad because it will condition people not to rust any
> > application because "clicking somewhere may break something". Please
> > change it.

Well, I get your point here, but on the other Hand, kpersonalizer is supposed
to be a util for the my-first-time-with-KDE-user and this user might like to
switch forth and back through the pages and try, whether or not he likes the
changes. To do that, he must see 'em. Maybe a good compromise can be an
"apply changes on this page now"- button on each page.

> Any comments on the attached patches?

I like it very much, the early startingpoint might encourage the user to use
it, because there is no other spot on the screen he can click on. On the
other hand, it prevents the above mentioned "trying out" of the changes. But
obviously, some people will rather rate this an advantage.

> - before lauching kpersonalizer, it also launches kdeinit and kwin, which
> can sometimes take some time. This can be fixed by
>   - running kpersonalizer without kwin (I'm a bit afraid of focus problems
> here, though it works for me when testing), and preventing kpersonalizer
> from attaching to dcop
>   - preventing both kwin and kpersonalizer from attaching to dcop

We can't prevent it from connecting to dcop, because we need dcop, when it is
started manually within a session (ok, we could test, how it was started, but
this whole app is getting to complex).

>   - adding a cool KDE-is-starting-for-the-first-time-splash ;)

If I had to decide, this would be my choice.

Altogether, it would be interesting to hear tackat's opinion on the patch.

Regards, Carsten.