List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Word-wrap in message boxes.
From:       m_elter () t-online ! de (Matthias Elter)
Date:       2002-01-15 8:36:15

Waldo Bastian wrote:

> Well basically our word-wrap isn't good enough. There are a few problems:
> 1) We don't know how big the messagebox should be. That gets complicated by
> the fact that Qt is currently buggy and doesn't provide correct sizeHints in
> all situations. Theoretically we can pick any size above the minimum required
> size, and the text is supposed to flow into that, but chances are that this
> will look like shit.

We support 42 languages. Our message boxes will never look perfect in
all of them. The automatic line break makes sure that message boxes look
quite good in most.

>We also have a bunch of dialogs from 2.2 times that
> still have manual line-breaks and those are really ugly because it can happen
> that they automatically break one-word before the manual break.

Yes, then lets remove all manual line breaks.

> On the other
> hand if we use manual line-breaks we can size the dialog to fit the contents
> (see also 2) and whoever wrote the text can fidle with the line-breaks to
> make it a nice dialog that is well-balanced.

You can "fidle with the line-breaks" to make it a nice dialog for
"en_us" but then the message box will look like shit in "de" or "kr" or
whatever. Manual line breaks are a step back into stone age.

Greetings,
Matthias