List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Name and UI for emacs-style shortcuts
From:       Ellis Whitehead <kde () ellisw ! net>
Date:       2001-12-29 5:38:50

My first question is what should emacs-style shortcuts be called?  I've
labeled them "extended shortcuts" before.  This seems fine to me, but maybe
there's already a name for them?

On a related note, I would like to give new names to the two standard KDE
schemes.  "KDE Default for 3-Modifier Keys" isn't very catchy. *grin*  I was
thinking "KDE Standard" (or I suppose "KDE Traditional") for the scheme
without the win key, and "KDE Extended" for the scheme with the win key.  I
don't like "KDE Extended" much though, especially if the emacs-style
shortcuts are going to be called "extended shortcuts".

Also, the user-interface for the emacs-style shortcuts needs some major
re-thinking.  Currently, if you press the first key of a shortcut, a
QPopupMenu pops up with the appropriate items.  That's rather strange.  Any
suggestions on how to handle this?  Put a message into the statusbar
temporarily?  What if there is no statusbar?  Should a menu pop up after a
certain amount of time passes without a second keypress?

Cheers,
Ellis