List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Show/Hide Toolbar / Statusbar GUI issue
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-11-29 0:54:22

On Wednesday 28 November 2001 09:48 am, JES wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 17:21, Stephan Binner wrote:
> > On Wednesday 28 November 2001 15:22, JES wrote:
> > > I came to my thoughts when I pressed the right mousebutton in konsole.
> > > I get a menuitem "Show Menubar". When I click it, it _hides_ instead of
> > > showing. Well, the same is with the Toolbar and Statusbar (in every
> > > app). They are a little different in this perspective while they have a
> > > 'check'.
> >
> > Different? "Show Menubar" also "has a 'check'" - it just shows an icon.
>
> For Toolbar and Statusbar, it's a clear 'V' , for Menubar, it's a picture
> (=icon).
> I think it's better to set the text "Show" to "Hide" when it is selected. I
> think it's clearer for the user.

I think the "check" thingies work just fine. The problem starts when the item
has an icon, then the check isn't shown any more. I tend to think that we
should give preference to the "check"-item instead of the icon in those cases
instead of the other way around, since the "check" item has the highest
information contents.

I know that the styles are supposed to make a subtle change to the icon when
it is checked or not, but that change is so subtle that I am not able to see
it. Pretty much like the (old?) Motif checkboxes, where you can see a
difference between checked and unchecked, but you don't get any clue as which
one is checked and which one is unchecked.

Cheers,
Waldo