List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: libkio & libksycoca
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () sh ! cvut ! cz>
Date:       2001-11-28 14:56:37

On Wed 28. November 2001 15:33, David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 28 November 2001 09:46, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> >  I'm not that sure putting everything in libkde is a good idea, but
> > having kdecore(=DCOP+kdecore), kdeui(=kdeui+kdefx),
>
> We just splitted kdefx out of kdecore/kdeui for a reason: kde widget styles
> need to dlopen and dlclose it, which currently doesn't work on the full
> kdecore (due to KStaticDeleter apparently... see previous mail from gallium
> with backtrace)

 Oops, I forgot to mention this. Of course kdefx would have to stay separate.
But it's a small library, so it could be built separately and also directly
included in kdeui. The same could be done with libDCOP in case there are
people who need Qt-only libDCOP.

> > kio(=kio+ksycoca+kssl+kdesu+kfile), kparts(=kparts) should solve some of
> > the problems above and IMHO wouldn't cause any real trouble (I mean, is
> > there anybody who links to kssl without linking also to kio?).
>
> I have nothing against grouping the libs some more, the way you suggest
> sounds good. I remember making ksycoca separate from kio to give more
> modularity (apps choosing what to link to), but it's true that with kdeinit
> this is all void anyway.

 I personally hope we will be able to drop kdeinit one day, but anyway, most
of the library bloat comes from libkdeui (at least I think so, based on some
numbers, I estimate it's responsible for half of the bloat caused by basic
KDE libs).
 Merging libs in this way would be probably another reason for all those
trolls yelling about KDE not being modular (I just got involved in one such
flamewar this weekend :(  ). But as long as the sources are in the directory
where they belong, IMHO we can still avoid it being one big mess.

--
 Lubos Lunak
 llunak@suse.cz ; l.lunak@kde.org