List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: libkio & libksycoca
From:       aleXXX <alexander.neundorf () gmx ! net>
Date:       2001-11-28 18:18:53

On Wed 28 Nov 01 15:11, Lubos Lunak wrote:
> On Wed 28. November 2001 14:44, Neil Stevens wrote:
> > >
> > > hmm, and now we can make it slower again ????
> >
> > Do you *know* it'll be slow?  With objprelink it's certainly not the
> > linker that is the bottleneck for KDE, and prelinking embedded in the
> > tools themselves won't perform worse than objprelink.

Well, I remember at the time as I optimized konsole I got it from 3.2 to 2.5
seconds, or something like this, Dirk Mueller changed something in the
Makefiles (I think he removed -lkfile and -lkparts) and it went down by
approx. 0.5 sec more. I was very surprised that it was so much.
Now I added them again for testing and it increased only by approx. 0.1 sec,
but still.

>  The problem might be that not everybody will be able to use prelinking. I
> have no idea what the situation e.g. on FreeBSD is *). At least keeping
> libkdecore as a separate lib might be useful. Or it would be also possible
> to have one huge lib and also keeping kdecore (i.e. having it included in
> the big lib and also having it standalone, with hopefully only few #ifdefs
> for KMessageBox vs fprintf etc. ).
>
> > > Well, ok, but IMHO not much more hackish and ugly than throwing
> > > everything in one huge lib
>
>  What exactly would be ugly about that? Only some Makefile.am's would be
> altered, and the link lines would have to be changed like here in the line
> below.
>
> > What's ugly?  -lqt -ldcop -lkde or -lqt -ldcop -lkdecore -lkdeui -lkfile

Well, having one huge 10 MB do-everything lib is ugly IMO, separating the
functionality nicely is also a sign of good design.

I don't mean kio+ksycoca, but kio+ksycoca+everything.

Bye
Alex