List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: libkio & libksycoca
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-28 14:33:24

On Wednesday 28 November 2001 09:46, Lubos Lunak wrote:
>  I'm not that sure putting everything in libkde is a good idea, but having
> kdecore(=DCOP+kdecore), kdeui(=kdeui+kdefx),

We just splitted kdefx out of kdecore/kdeui for a reason: kde widget styles
need to dlopen and dlclose it, which currently doesn't work on the full kdecore
(due to KStaticDeleter apparently... see previous mail from gallium with backtrace)

> kio(=kio+ksycoca+kssl+kdesu+kfile), kparts(=kparts) should solve some of the
> problems above and IMHO wouldn't cause any real trouble (I mean, is there
> anybody who links to kssl without linking also to kio?).

I have nothing against grouping the libs some more, the way you suggest
sounds good. I remember making ksycoca separate from kio to give more
modularity (apps choosing what to link to), but it's true that with kdeinit this
is all void anyway.

Merging kio and kfile would allow to
* get rid of the KOpenWithHandler hack (quite an improvement in terms of API!)
* move kpropsdlg out of kfile, it's there only because it has a "Browse" button
which launches kfile, but it should rather be in kio/ IMHO.

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/
KDE 3.0: Konquering the Desktops