List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KConfig object-orientification
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-11-01 10:41:18

On Jeudi 1 Novembre 2001 08:45, Charles Samuels wrote:
> This makes it compatible with old version, except for a few small things.
>
> - some methods (like getKey) now have a group argument
> - it's `QString defaultGroup() const` instead of `QString group() const`

Which breaks code again....
Why not simply have
 KConfigGroup group(const QString &_group) const    (the new one)
and
QString group() const;  (the old one)
?
I don't see a conflict here.
Furthermore, defaultGroup is a bad naming IMHO (could have been
"currentGroup", but there's no point in changing the old API, the goal
is to implement a new one which doesn't have that notion ;)

I see you added a KConfigGroup group() const that returns the KConfigGroup
for the "current group" ... but I don't see the point in that one. It's a mixture
of the old way and the new way, so it's quite useless IMHO. If you remove it,
you'll be able to rename defaultGroup() back to group(), so that the old source
still compiles (I guess there is quite some code that does KConfigGroupSaver's
job manually, so it's important that group() still works).

Other than that, this looks quite good to me. Good job!

> Of course I expect an immediate response from David :)
:)
I'm going away for a few days, so don't expect much from me in
the next few days.

David.