List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Expanding environment variables in minicli
From:       Frerich Raabe <frerichraabe () gmx ! de>
Date:       2001-10-28 15:29:38

Am Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2001 16:10 schrieb Oswald Buddenhagen:
> > Anyway, would be cool if you'd give it a shot and me some feedback. :-)
>
> the implementation is pretty ... bad. :(

Why thanks. Even better: it seems it worked without my patch, too - just not
for me (??).

> - when a variable expands to something containing $, you could get into
>   an infinte loop; you should scan only the part after the last
>   substitution
> - you have no way to specify a literal $; use backslash escaping

Agreed.

> - variable names can also contain lowercase letters, numbers (not as the
>   first character), underscores

Thanks for that listing.

> - the sometimes useful ${} syntax is not supported

Hmm, yes - that might be worth a thought (although I for one don't see when
I'd really need it. :})

> - you should not put it into minicli, but krun, i think, probably as an
>   additional function; e.g., khotkeys would benefit from it

See my mail, I put that up for discussion (I personally think KRun is a good
place, too).

> - the sh syntax "FOO=stuff BAR=morestuff program" should be supported as
>   well; sh-style quoting (single and double) including backslash escapes
>   should be supported here, too

That's an entirely different issue. I didn't intend to make it possible to
export values, just expand environment variables.

- Frerich