List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    DCOPClient::call(host...
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-26 16:30:36

I'd like to add the capability to make DCOP calls to apps residing
on remote hosts. This is possible with kxmlrpc and soda (my SOAP stuff)
but there's no API support.

I think the best way will be to add a new 'call' method to DCOPClient,
with host+port parameters.

Related to this, there needs to be some way to get the reply back
from the remote application, so my plan is to have send() return
an id and then add a new signal (replyReceived(uint id, ...)) which
apps can connect to.

While I'm there, I would like to add another method, 'asyncCall()',
which does the same as call(), except that instead of using the
event loop hack, it uses replyReceived().

So...

class DCOPClient
{

  public:

    typedef int CallID;

      CallID
    DCOPClient::asyncCall
      (
        const QString     & remoteHost,
        uint                remotePort,
        const QByteArray  & authentication,
        const QCString    & remoteApp,
        const QCString    & remoteObject,
        const QCString    & remoteMethod,
        const QByteArray  & data
      );

      CallID
    DCOPClient::asyncCall
      (
        const QCString    & remoteApp,
        const QCString    & remoteObject,
        const QCString    & remoteMethod,
        const QByteArray  & data
      );

  signals:

    void replyReceived
      (
        CallID              id,
        bool                success,
        const QCString    & replyType,
        const QByteArray  & replyData
      );
};

Anyone have a problem with this ?

Apologies if I don't respond until Monday - I'm just about to catch a
train...

Rik