List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: DCOPClient::call(host...
From:       Waldo Bastian <bastian () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-26 19:06:12

On Friday 26 October 2001 09:30 am, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> I'd like to add the capability to make DCOP calls to apps residing
> on remote hosts. This is possible with kxmlrpc and soda (my SOAP stuff)
> but there's no API support.
>
> I think the best way will be to add a new 'call' method to DCOPClient,
> with host+port parameters.

No, I don't think this functionality belongs in DCOP itself. You can do what
you want by creating a proxy like kxmlrpc. E.g register a client as
"remote-proxy". Applications can then ask "remote-proxy" for a DCOPRef to
"remote-object at remote-client at remote-host" which will give you something
like DCOPRef(remote-proxy,obj#1)and then remote-proxy can relay all calls
made to obj#1to "remote-object at remote-client at remote-host".

> Related to this, there needs to be some way to get the reply back
> from the remote application, so my plan is to have send() return
> an id and then add a new signal (replyReceived(uint id, ...)) which
> apps can connect to.
>
> While I'm there, I would like to add another method, 'asyncCall()',
> which does the same as call(), except that instead of using the
> event loop hack, it uses replyReceived().

asyncCall might be usefull, don't know how hard it would be to implement it,
it might require some extra bookkeeping in the DCOPClient to keep track of
requests.

Cheers,
Waldo