List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Request for comments: New address book API
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-14 17:49:52

#if Cornelius Schumacher

> Per-record locking could be done by splitting up the file and store one
> record per file, but this would also complicate the API. Is this really
> worth it? What are the advantages?

Well, just imagine if the entire CVS repository was locked when one
person committed changes to one file, and they were doing this over a
slow link...

BTW, storing the entire db in one file is risky, no ? How do you write ?
Write an entire new file, then mv ? If you don't, how do you cope with a
server crash ?

> Merging changes can be quite difficult, if different changes have been
> done to the same record. This might not be possible without user
> interaction and even then you need the locking for the time of the
> merge.

Yes, it would require user interaction, but if the user makes changes
and tries to commit them, then you see the record has changed since you
last looked at it, you have to merge anyway, so I fear this is
unavoidable.

Rik