List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Request for comments: New address book API
From:       Cornelius Schumacher <schumacher () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-10-14 16:31:23

On Sunday 14 October 2001 17:07, helio@conectiva.com.br wrote:

> Since its in the beginning of new API, a bit time ago our staff at
> Conectiva are asking about LDAP support over kmail.. After a small
> message changing with the guy who takes the task, i am asking myself
> about if kmail is the real point to add LDAP support, since many apps
> could be using same thing, knode as an example.

Yes, LDAP should be part of the general KDE address book solution, not
limited to a single application.

> I believe that some plugin/internal feature oculd be added i linkab
> code to enabling LDAP directly in KDE address books.

LDAP could be a backend for the address book stuff, similar to the SQL
backend we were talking about. In addition to that we need a more
query-like interface for LDAP servers with lots of data.

> Besides our shortage of time, i ll be happy to help, even program
> this part, since we have a good test environment at Conectiva and our
> department are a bit involved in LDAP solutions to some of our
> customers.
> Well, that is it..
> If the idea are well receiced, lets see how we can fast approcah
> this..

There are a lot of different efforts going on on LDAP integration with
KDE. We should really combine them. There is the LDAP kioslave in
kdebase, there is kab2 in kdepim, which also provides an LDAP backend.
There is a LDAP-kab bridge at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/myldapklient/. There is the
Aegypten-project Michael mentioned. There may be more (I remember
several people on the mailing lists talking about LDAP development.)
Who is able to coordinate the efforts?