List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: KIO patch
From:       David Faure <david () mandrakesoft ! com>
Date:       2001-10-06 10:18:06

On Samedi 6 Octobre 2001 12:00, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, David Faure wrote:
> > On Vendredi 5 Octobre 2001 21:16, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> > > What about adding the two methods findByContent() and
> > > findByFileNameContent() to KMimeType, and marking
> > > KMimeMagic and KMimeMagicResult as deprecated? This
> > > would make a much simpler and more consistent API
> > > IMO.
> >
> > Good idea, except that I wouldn't mark KMimeMagic* as deprecated,
> > it still gives more info than the KMimeType wrappers (for instance the
> > accuracy of the result, which maybe some apps might want to check.
> > This is just in case. I can't give examples of apps using it).
>
> This could be accomodated by an additional argument int *accuracy=0,
> such that *accuracy is set on return when accuracy is not a null pointer.

Good idea.

> > Well, yes, sure ;) A service offer is only the description of a service,
> > nothing more. IIRC the bool being copied is only a speed up issue
> > (used for sorting the offers).
>
> Well, not exactly, that's why I'm asking :-) AFAICT, the allowAsDefault
> in KServiceOffer is an AND between the value in the .desktop file and
> the value in profilerc. But the latter is always TRUE...

Ok, then that's for a possible future feature of being able to set it to false
in the profile. Not really useful though, I'd agree.

> Another strange behaviour of keditfiletype is that it appends
> "Application" to the list of mime types when it copies a .desktop file
> into ~/.kde2.

That doesn't matter. The servicetype Application is implicit for Type=Application
files anyway. So it's always there, whether explicitely or implicitely.
(The goal of that, is to automatically get all properties for an application,
see kdelibs/kio/application.desktop)

> See mime.html in the kde2arch section on developer.kde.org. Would be
> nice if someone would proofread this and services.html, when it's
> finished.
Cool. Well, please drop me a mail (or mention in the cvs log) when it's finished :)

http://perso.mandrakesoft.com/~david/ , http://www.konqueror.org/