List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Supporting the Intel C++ compiler?
From:       Simon Hausmann <hausmann () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-30 20:13:58

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 08:57:25PM +0100, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> #if Hetz Ben Hamo
>
> > Will the KDE support those compilers? I heard that although intel compile
> > speed is not something much more better then GCC, but the code produced by it
> > is better (just what I heard):
>
> As I'm sure you know, we're quite strict about standards-compliant code.
> One reason for this is so that we can support different compilers. I
> don't know how well KDE _actually_ builds on non-gcc compilers as I
> don't have one yet, but I'll have a look at the Intel compiler and see
> what problems arise. I'm sure if the Intel compiler is any better than
> gcc in certain areas, some people will use it.

I tried it. It's quite fast in compiling. After some minor tweaking of
the appropriate qmake.conf I got qt applications linked (-pthread missing) .
But uic segfaults for me upon invocation (also the stl test of qt's configure
segfaults for me with icc ;-) . Will try without threading now (oh wait,
KDE defaults to threading... ;-)

Also libtool doesn't appear to suport icc. But that looks rather easy
to fix (adding another icc branch in ltcf to get -KPIC -Krtti flags
right. Dunno yet about shared libs though...

Simon