List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Re: Supporting the Intel C++ compiler?
From:       Rik Hemsley <rik () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-30 19:57:25

#if Hetz Ben Hamo

> Will the KDE support those compilers? I heard that although intel compile
> speed is not something much more better then GCC, but the code produced by it
> is better (just what I heard):

As I'm sure you know, we're quite strict about standards-compliant code.
One reason for this is so that we can support different compilers. I
don't know how well KDE _actually_ builds on non-gcc compilers as I
don't have one yet, but I'll have a look at the Intel compiler and see
what problems arise. I'm sure if the Intel compiler is any better than
gcc in certain areas, some people will use it.

I heard that gcc 3 is supposed to use some kind of name mangling
standard. Anyone know if this is the same one that Intel's compiler uses
? If not, we won't be making KDE releases based on Intel's compiler any
time soon.

Rik