List:       kde-core-devel
Subject:    Word wrap in KDE 3?
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-09-26 13:41:13

Hi,

There is an old problem with the word wrap of long file names in Konqueror's
icon views and on the Desktop which was supposed to be solved in KDE 3.
But so far I cannot see that this is really the case.

In Konqueror's icon view for KDE 2.x long filenames wrap like this

---
real-long-filen
ame.txt
---

On the 2x desktop, the line break happens several characters later:

---
boy-this-is-a-real-long-filenam
e.txt
---

Hyphens, underscores, spaces, or dots are not recognized or used as breaking
characters like eg in Nautilus.

In the Qt/KDE3 version I just compiled I see only one improvement: Spaces are
apparently recognized as breaking characters. But this won't help very much
for Konqueror icon views since most people still avoid spaces in filenames.
And other than after spaces the strings won't break at all.

Any solution for this in sight? It would not only make KDE look a lot
prettier and more professional. It would also save us a lot of bug reports
and unfavorable comparisons with Nautilus.

Regards,

Thomas

--
KDE translation: http://i18n.kde.org/