List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Proposal unify back our release schedules
From:       Volker Krause <vkrause () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-04-21 8:27:09

On Sunday, 21 April 2024 00:37:03 CEST Ben Cooksley wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 1:51 AM Kevin Ottens <ervin@kde.org> wrote:
> > Hello,

> > > In my opinion the same goes for Gear depending on Plasma.
> >
> > Agreed, just didn't want to muddy my message and so focused on only one
> > direction. But it's definitely a topic to explore as well.
> >
> > One thing I'm unsure for instance is: do we want to make Gear -> Plasma
> > dependencies completely forbidden?
> >
> > We might consider this going one step too far. I could understand if a
> > Gear
> > app wants to provide "more integration" in a Plasma session. So mandatory
> > Gear
> > -> Plasma dependencies, I agree are to forbid, but optional ones? I'm less
> > certain.
>
> I've considered whether it was feasible to ban such dependencies in the
> past, however always ended up in the position that it wasn't feasible to do
> so.
> This will require a degree of projects being moved around, code being
> broken out into separate modules, etc. but I think it is solvable given
> enough commitment to do so.
>
> We probably need a home for "not quite Frameworks but shared libraries none
> the less" to make this achievable.
>
> The usual tripping points ended up being:
> - Various graphics and multimedia libraries such as libkdcraw, libkexiv2,
> etc
> - Various PIM libraries, often related to Akonadi integration for Workspace

One approach to solve that is/was to actually turn those into frameworks. A
bunch of PIM libraries were moved over time (KContacts, KCalendarCore, KDAV,
etc) already. More were lined up, the KF6 transition just put a pause on that,
but e.g. KMime not too long ago received a bunch of API fixes in preparation
for this.

However, before continuing down that road I'd like to see a decision on the KF
release schedule first now. With a much longer release cycle this becomes a lot
less interesting to do.

Regards,
Volker