List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: Proposal unify back our release schedules
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-04-20 22:37:03

On Sun, Apr 21, 2024 at 1:51 AM Kevin Ottens <ervin@kde.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Saturday 20 April 2024 15:12:48 CEST Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> >
> > In my opinion the same goes for Gear depending on Plasma.
>
> Agreed, just didn't want to muddy my message and so focused on only one
> direction. But it's definitely a topic to explore as well.
>
> One thing I'm unsure for instance is: do we want to make Gear -> Plasma
> dependencies completely forbidden?
>
> We might consider this going one step too far. I could understand if a
> Gear
> app wants to provide "more integration" in a Plasma session. So mandatory
> Gear
> -> Plasma dependencies, I agree are to forbid, but optional ones? I'm less
> certain.

I've considered whether it was feasible to ban such dependencies in the
past, however always ended up in the position that it wasn't feasible to do
so.
This will require a degree of projects being moved around, code being
broken out into separate modules, etc. but I think it is solvable given
enough commitment to do so.

We probably need a home for "not quite Frameworks but shared libraries none
the less" to make this achievable.

The usual tripping points ended up being:
- Various graphics and multimedia libraries such as libkdcraw, libkexiv2,
etc
- Various PIM libraries, often related to Akonadi integration for Workspace
- Components of Workspace that were sitting over in Gear, such as Baloo
(which shouldn't be used anywhere outside Plasma - yet is heavily
integrated in Dolphin, which arguably really belongs in Plasma not Gear as
well)
- Applications that published components and libraries that were reusable
by others such as Marble, Kompare and Okteta.
- Addon collections that due to shared D-Bus interfaces ended up being both
build and runtime dependencies (less so now, but kio-extras sits in this
territory to a certain extent)
- Components of Workspace, such as KSysguard that provide libraries whose
functionality is used

I'm not sure where KWin sits these days, but it's hard (and I mean very
hard) dependency on KWindowSystem within Frameworks was a source of quite a
bit of trouble in the past.
Dolphin is a serial offender in the same department when it comes to KIO -
it has a similarly hard dependency.

> takes
> > >
> > > Changing the Frameworks release cadence away from monthly isn't going
> > > get fixes out any faster - as if you are using distribution packages it
> > > still has to be packaged.
> > > If anything it will make them take longer as the Frameworks release
> would
> > > end up being every couple of months instead of monthly? (you can always
> > > build Frameworks locally if you need the fixes now)
> >
> > For (non-rolling) distributions that update packages on patch releases
> but
> > not on minor releases it would make a difference if there where patch
> > releases of Frameworks. Not all distributions can follow and backport
> > important fixes in Frameworks. At worst, users will have to suffer a bug
> in
> > Frameworks until the next LTS release.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ingo
> --
> Kevin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net
>
> enioka Haute Couture - proud supporting member of KDE
> https://hc.enioka.com/en

Cheers,
Ben