List:       kde-community
Subject:    Re: KDE now has its own Matrix infrastructure
From:       Eike Hein <hein () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-02-28 14:43:33

Hi,

of course "being insulted" is very much in the eye of the beholder.

I'm very tired of this accusation being thrown around, so let's do real talk and \
summarize the situation according to my best knowledge of events:

Jonathan Riddell sold KDE mechandising (t-shirts) at FOSDEM to attendees. He took \
payment for that mechandising via a card reader connected to a bank account he \
controls. People - not the board - initially asked him why this card reader cannot be \
connected to the KDE e.V. bank account instead.

His response has been to repeatedly not give a straight answer to this question, and \
instead throw a hissy-fit about how the e.V. is not doing its job and doesn't help \
organizing conferences. The board has received no inquiry about helping with payment \
solutions, and Jonathan, being a KDE e.V. member himself, has not lead any efforts to \
organize any within the membership to our knowledge. Whatever else, making a solution \
for himself doesn't help anyone else, either, so problem-solving appears as merely \
pretense.

According to a conversation with Jonathan, he considers himself to represent and/or \
lead (it's a bit unclear) a non-profit organization named "KDE GB", sold the \
merchandising as such and seems to intend to keep the money he collected. We at this \
time have no information on whether "KDE GB" is set up and acting in compliance with \
local and EU law and who its membership is. As he considers himself a non-profit, he \
did not sign the agreement that mechandising shops have signed or make any inquiry \
about it. "KDE GB" has also not signed the local satellite organization agreement or \
made any inquiry about doing so after being informed of its existence.

Let's be clear: The e.V. cares because it's required to protect KDE's trademarks and \
wants to protect KDE's reputation in the world. The KDE e.V. is also a organization \
that gets work done by way of its members doing things (many of whom have organized \
conference stalls before). We're not aware of any impediments to Jonathan doing \
anything within the scope of the e.V. and consider any antagonism to be entirely \
unprovoked, one-sided and unnecessary.

Cheers,
Eike